SC notice to Karnataka on Sivasamudram project
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday sought
a response from Karnataka government on the allegation by
Tamil Nadu that it has unilaterally decided to go ahead with
Sivasamudram Hydero power project in the Cauvery basin by
violating the directions of Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
A Bench comprising Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and
Justice P Sathasivam issued notices to Karnataka government
and the Centre and sought their replies in three weeks.
Senior advocate K Parasaran mentioned the application of
Tamil Nadu government in which it alleged that instead of
putting the control of the project under a neutral agency, the
Karnataka government was executing it through Karnataka Power
Tamil Nadu submitted that Karnataka was not accepting
the direction of the Tribunal that the project has to go
through a neutral body like National Hydro Power Corporation
It said the Centre had come out with a proposal
Cauvery-Mettur Hydro Electrical Project in 1998 by which four
projects -- Sivasamudram, Mekadatu, Rasimanal and Hogenekkal
-- were to be executed by NHPC.
While Sivasamudram and Mekadatu project fall within
the territory of Karnataka, Rasimanal and Hogenekkal come
under Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu has sought a direction to the Centre to
execute all the four hydro projects as a package through NHPC
or any other appropriate central power generation utility so
as to derive maximum benefits of power potential.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video