SC refuses plea against demolition of jail by Mayawati govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday refused
to restrain Mayawati Government from going ahead with the
demolition of the old jail in Lucknow saying that it has
not been declared as a heritage building.
"If it is not declared as a heritage building, we cannot
give direction that it should not be demolished," a Bench
comprising Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and Justice P
The court was hearing the petition filed by advocate
Sangam Lal Pandey questioning the decision of the authorities
to demolish the existing jail and allegedly construct certain
At the outset, the Bench wanted to know from the advocate
whether the jail in Lucknow was declared as a heritage
"When you have not stated in the petition that the jail
building has been declared as a heritage monument, we cannot
do anything," the Bench said.
The apex court also questioned the advocate for raising
the issue and asked him how he was concerned with the jail.
Senior advocates K K Venugopal and S C Mishra, appearing
for the Uttar Pradesh Government, also raised objections
against the petitioner for seeking non-demolition of the jail.
"Why the petitioner is interested in this jail," they
The Uttar Pradesh Government had on July 8 assured the
apex court that the land would not be used for building
It had maintained that the old jail premises would be
used only for the purpose of setting up an ecological park and
not monuments as alleged.
The Lucknow Bench of the High Court had earlier
restrained the state government from carrying out any
demolition and construction activities in the jail and had
asked the authorities to explain its position.
Venugopal informed the apex court that the new jail has
been built with all the facilities for 4,660 inmates at a cost
of Rs 210 crore and all the prisoners would soon be shifted to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?