New Delhi: There was no relief for transporters in West Bengal as the Supreme Court on Monday refused to stay the Calcutta High Court order directing the phase-out of diesel-powered 15-year-old commercial vehicles.
The order means that the ban on the vehicles will continue. The court also ordered a ban on non-CNG vehicles.
Earlier on July 31, the apex court had refused to grant interim stay on the Calcutta HC judgement saying that there was no urgency in passing the order and had said, "Any order, if necessary, will be passed on August 10 when the matter is listed for hearing," The statement was made by a Bench comprising Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan, justice P Sathasivam and justice BS Chauhan said when the transporters association`s sought a stay of the High Court order.
"You could have persuaded the High Court," the Bench said when the advocate for the Association said the High Court order was passed without hearing them.
The transporters association Bengal Bus Syndicate and others contended that the state government did not have the power to issue a notification for phasing out 15-year-old vehicles as it is vested with the Centre.
The Bench said the association should have approached the High Court seeking a review of the order.
The High Court had on March 17 directed that 15-year-old diesel-powered buses, taxis and two-stroke autos causing pollution must go off the roads in the metropolis by July 31.
The state government had in July last year sought time from the High Court to allow autorickshaws to go off the roads from January one this year while 15-year-old buses and taxis were to be phased out by March 31. The High Court had converted the timeframe given by the government into an order.