Scandal-hit Rooney to get a Guy Fawkes bonfire greeting
London: A bonfire society has revealed that it plans to give scandal-hit Manchester United star Wayne Rooney a Guy Fawkes bonfire greeting over the weekend.
Rooney has been cast in the form of the animated ogre Shrek. The 49-foot-tall steel-framed structure will go up in flames at Edenbridge Bonfire Society’s annual parade and display on Saturday.
According to The Telegraph, crowds of up to 15,000 spectators are expected to see the structure packed with fireworks going up with a bang.
Dressed in full kit, including the club’s famous red shirt, the effigy depicts Rooney clutching a copy of his lucrative new five-year contract under one arm, while in his other hand is a holdall full of cash.
Charles Laver, of the Kent-based society, said Rooney was chosen as this year’s guy after being plastered all over the tabloids in recent months.
In September he hit the headlines over allegations he slept with two prostitutes while wife Coleen was pregnant with their son Kai.
Then his loyalty to Manchester United was thrown into doubt when he suggested he would leave, before going on to sign the new contract with the club.
Laver said: “I hate football myself so I’m quite happy to burn a footballer. ‘One of our members is a big Man U fan, so he’s been advising us on getting all the details of the kit just right.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery