Schalke finish off Inter in Champions League quarter
Gelsenkirchen: Schalke 04`s veteran striker Raul said the German underdogs can afford to dream of the Champions League final after setting up a semi-final clash with giants Manchester United.
Schalke are in the last four of European football`s premier domestic competition for the first time in their history after knocking-out holders Inter Milan in Wednesday`s quarter-final.
Having won the first-leg 5-2 at Inter`s San Siro stadium last week, Schalke finished the job off with a 2-1 win at their Veltins Arena stadium.
"It is a special moment, it is the first time we are in the semi-finals in our history," said the 33-year-old Raul, who won the Champions League three times with Real Madrid.
"Nothing is impossible in football, so even against Manchester United, why can`t we dream of the final?"
Raul opened the scoring on the stroke of half-time on Wednesday to extend his record Champions League tally to 71 goals while Inter midfielder Thiago Motta levelled minutes after the restart.
Defender Benedikt Hoewedes put the matter beyond doubt with a late winner.
Having knocked out Valencia in the Round of 16 and now holders Inter on their way to the semi-finals, Raul said the sky is the limit for Germany`s Royal Blues with the final at Wembley on May 28.
"It`s an incredible situation, you have to see that Valencia thought they were going to win against us and then so did Inter," said Raul.
"I do hope Madrid get through to the final and we get to play against them, but we need to focus on the semi-final."
Inter coach Leonardo was gracious in defeat.
"Schalke deserved the win," said the Brazilian.
"They were the better team over the two legs and were a bit tired, we have played a lot of football in the league and we showed it.”
"They have a chance against Manchester United, it will depend on what happens on the day."
Schalke coach Ralf Rangnick warned his team will be underdogs against Manchester.
"The team has been rewarded with this victory, this is an extraordinary evening, but we will be underdogs against Manchester United," said Rangnick.
"The team has produced two great performances, if you only allow the Champions League winners just two chances, you know you have done well.
"Every player worked for his team-mates and that was the key to our success, the boys can be proud of their achievement."
Schalke will host United on April 26 in the first-leg of the semi-final, with the return leg at Old Trafford on May 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe