Schalke`s Matip fails to join up with Cameroon squad
Yaounde: Cameroon are expected to name a replacement later on Wednesday for Joel Matip after the German-born teenager failed to join up with their African Nations Cup squad.
The Schalke 04 midfielder did not travel to Nairobi where Cameroon will play a warm-up against Kenya on Saturday before travelling on to Angola.
Team officials said the 18-year-old, who has a Cameroonian father and German mother, had not received a passport in time.
However the country`s sports minister said he had sought permission to join up late with the squad due to a school exam.
His club coach Felix Magath said the call-up for Matip had come as a surprise.
"In our view it makes no sense he travels there," Magath told the club`s website.
Matip scored on his Bundesliga debut against Bayern Munich in November.
His 24-year-old brother Marvin, who plays for Cologne, had also previously been called up by Cameroon but could not play for the African country as he has represented Germany at junior level.
Cameroon open their Nations Cup campaign in Lubango next Wednesday when they meet Gabon in Group D.
They also face Tunisia and Zambia in the first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'