Schleck cycling team signs German workhorse Voigt
Paris: The Luxembourg Pro Cycling Project, where brothers Andy and Frank Schleck will carry hopes of winning the Tour de France yellow jersey, has signed German veteran Jens Voigt.
Voigt is known for his untiring work ethic and will be joining the team "with the express purpose of adding his considerable experience in the sport to the young, vibrant squad", according to a team statement.
Team manager Kim Andersen said: "He is a rider that any team would love to have on its roster. He has such depth and a love for the sport, which he proved by coming back after his terrible crash in the 2009 Tour (de France).
"Voigt is a gritty rider who relishes a challenge but most of all loves racing with people he values, respects and admires."
Voigt is just the latest rider from the Saxo Bank team, run and owned by former Tour de France winner Bjarne Riis, to jump ship.
"I wanted to come to this team because I am very excited about this project," said Voigt.
"I love the idea of continuing to work with the Schlecks; we work well together and know what we can expect from each other."
He added: "I had a great time at my former team and found a lot of personal and common success, but after seven years, I felt it was time to make a change.
"I hope to be good enough next year to make the Tour team at least one more time and to help one of the Schlecks onto the highest step."
Andy Schleck has finished runner-up in the Tour de France to Spain`s Alberto Contador the past two years, and will start as one of only a handful of favourites in 2011.
Contador is currently provisionally suspended and awaiting word on a possible sanction after testing positive for trace amounts of the banned weight loss/muscle building drug clenbuterol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Red Corridor to be redrawn - Know how many districts will be taken off Naxalite–Maoist insurgency list
- SC issues notice to Vijay Mallya for not disclosing assets
- Parliament video: Speaker forms 9-member probe panel, asks Bhagwant Mann not to attend House
- Impressed with Narendra Modi; India is in safe hands under his government - Praises by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?