School-kids on drive to restore Pondy`s green cover
Puducherry: School children will be engaged in a plant-sapling drive by government to restore the green cover of Puducherry that took a heavy beating when cyclone Thane lashed the coast on December 30.
Puducherry Administration has planned to raise as many as 2.5 lakh trees under this year long drive.
A.Bhaskar, MLA, today flagged-off the campaign entitled `basic livelihood and forest cover launched in association with the C.P.Ramaswamy Environment Centre, Chennai.
With a view to restoring the green environs, the Directorate of Education has initiated steps to associate the children with the project of ‘Green Puducherry’.
The cyclone had uprooted thousands of trees, including coconut trees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far