School-kids on drive to restore Pondy`s green cover
Puducherry: School children will be engaged in a plant-sapling drive by government to restore the green cover of Puducherry that took a heavy beating when cyclone Thane lashed the coast on December 30.
Puducherry Administration has planned to raise as many as 2.5 lakh trees under this year long drive.
A.Bhaskar, MLA, today flagged-off the campaign entitled `basic livelihood and forest cover launched in association with the C.P.Ramaswamy Environment Centre, Chennai.
With a view to restoring the green environs, the Directorate of Education has initiated steps to associate the children with the project of ‘Green Puducherry’.
The cyclone had uprooted thousands of trees, including coconut trees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply