Schweinsteiger saves the day for Bayern
Berlin: Bastian Schweinsteiger scored a second-half equaliser to give Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich a 1-1 draw at Cologne and extend their unbeaten run to 18 matches in all competitions.
Lukas Podolski scored against his old club to give Cologne the lead before "Schweini" came to the rescue in the 58th minute, leaving Bayern with 53 points from 25 games.
Schalke 04, who started the weekend in third place, moved within two points of Bayern with an impressive 4-1 win away to Eintracht Frankfurt.
Schalke went second, one point ahead of Bayer Leverkusen who are away to struggling Nuremberg on Sunday and could go back to the top if they win by enough goals.
Werder Bremen came from two goals behind, scoring twice in the final 15 minutes to force a 2-2 draw against VfB Stuttgart while Edin Dzeko scored twice to help champions VfL Wolfsburg beat VfL Bochum 4-1 with all their goals coming in the final half-hour.
Hanover 96 won 2-1 at fellow strugglers Freiburg to move out of the relegation playoff spot, where they were replaced by their opponents.
Having sounded an early warning by smacking a 25-metre shot against the crossbar from 25 metres, Podolski gave Cologne the lead after 31 minutes with a vicious free kick which Joerg Butt could only help into the net.
Schweinsteiger equalised following a Thomas Mueller run into the area and shortly afterwards headed against the crossbar.
Bayern were also denied by the woodwork when Franck Ribery hit the post.
Joel Matip, Benedikt Hoewedes, Ivan Rakitic and Kevin Kuranyi shared the goals for Schalke while Alexander Meier replied for Frankfurt.
Stuttgart took a 2-0 halftime lead at Werder with goals from Pavel Pogrebnyak and Sami Khedira.
Hugo Almeida and Torsten Frings, from a penalty, replied for Bremen in the last 15 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day