Scientists record first ever image of molecule
Washington: Scientists have recorded the first ever image of a molecule`s "anatomy" with unprecedented clarity, using a complex technique known as non-contact atomic force microscopy.
The results could greatly impact the field of nanotechnology, which seeks to understand and control some of the tiniest known objects.
"If you think about how a doctor uses an X-ray to image bones and organs inside the human body, we are using the atomic force microscope (AFM) to image the atomic structures that are the backbones of individual molecules," said IBM researcher Gerhard Meyer.
"Scanning probe techniques offer amazing potential for prototyping complex functional structures and for tailoring and studying their electronic and chemical properties on the atomic scale," he added.
The team`s current study follows on the heels of another experiment published in the June 12 issue of Science, where IBM scientists measured the charged states of atoms using an AFM.
These breakthroughs will open new possibilities for investigating how charge transmits through molecules or molecular networks.
Understanding the charge distribution at the atomic scale is essential for building smaller, faster and more energy-efficient computing components than today`s processors and memory devices, said an IBM release.
These findings were reported in the Friday issue of Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP