Sebi revises short-selling norms
New Delhi: With a view to make the short selling market more accessible to investors, Sebi on Wednesday increased the tenure for borrowing shares by up to a year.
The stock lending and borrowing (SLB) mechanism or short selling was designed to help the borrower to sell the shares he feels are overpriced but are not in his possession.
Revising these existing norms Sebi said in a circular on Wednesday that the revision has been effected following feedback from market participants and revision proposals from the bourses.
"The tenure of contracts in SLB may be upto a maximum period of 12 months. The approved intermediary (clearing corporation/clearing house) shall have the flexibility to decide the tenure (maximum period of 12 months)," the circular said. Moreover the lender or borrower will also be provided with a facility for early recall or repayment of shares.
Under the existing SLB scheme, a person who owns shares can lend them through Sebi-approved intermediaries, which also act as the central counter-party, National Securities Clearing Corporation and the clearing house of the Bombay Stock Exchange, BOICL.
The circular also stated that in case the borrower fails to meet the margin obligations, the approved intermediary will obtain securities and square off the position of such defaulting borrower.
In case of early repayment of securities by the borrower,
the margins related to the same would be released immediately to the approved intermediary.
According to the circular, if the securities are recalled early by the lender or repaid early by the borrower, then the "lending fee for the balance period shall be at a market determined rate."
The Sebi has also directed the bourses and depositories to initiate necessary steps for the implementation of the modified SLB framework.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared