Second-half comeback keeps US alive
Johannesburg: Landon Donovan and Michael Bradley scored in a furious second-half comeback, giving the United States a 2-2 tie against Slovenia on Friday that kept alive the Americans` chances of advancing in the World Cup.
Slovenia, the smallest of the 32 nations in the tournament, took a 2-0 lead when Valter Birsa caught goalkeeper Tim Howard flat-footed to score in the 13th minute and Zlatan Ljubijankic scored on a counterattack in the 42nd.
Donovan scored in the 48th minute and Michael Bradley, son of US coach Bob Bradley, tied the score in the 82nd.
Second-half sub Maurice Edu appeared to put the US ahead in the 86th, poking in a 12-yard shot after Jozy Altidore headed Donovan`s free kick to him. But the goal was disallowed by referee Koman Couilibaly of Mali, apparently for a foul before Edu got the ball.
"I still don`t know why the goal was disallowed," Bob Bradley said after the match.
Slovenia (1-0-1) leads Group C with four points and would have qualified for the second round with a win.
The US (0-0-2) is second with two points, followed by England (0-0-1) with one point, pending its match against Algeria (0-1) in Cape Town later Friday. The top two teams in the group advance.
A pro-US crowd dressed in red, white and blue came to cheer the Americans, who entered with an 0-5 record against Eastern European nations in World Cup play.
It was a blustery 55 degrees at gametime in Ellis Park, where the US lost to Brazil 3-2 in last June`s Confederations Cup final after taking a two-goal lead into halftime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days