Second seed Zvonareva sweeps into Oz Open quarter-finals
Melbourne: Second seed Vera Zvonareva continued her quest for a first grand slam title with a commanding 6-4, 6-1 victory over unseeded Czech Iveta Benesova to reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Monday.
The Russian, who has lost in the finals of the last two grand slams at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, sealed the victory on her second match point with a thumping forehand crosscourt winner.
The 26-year-old Muscovite started slowly and had to recover from two service breaks in the first set but stepped up her pace to end up a convincing winner over Benesova.
Zvonareva will face another Czech, Petra Kvitova, in the last eight as she looks to seal a place in the Melbourne Park semi-finals for the second time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security