Second seed Zvonareva sweeps into Oz Open quarter-finals
Melbourne: Second seed Vera Zvonareva continued her quest for a first grand slam title with a commanding 6-4, 6-1 victory over unseeded Czech Iveta Benesova to reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Monday.
The Russian, who has lost in the finals of the last two grand slams at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, sealed the victory on her second match point with a thumping forehand crosscourt winner.
The 26-year-old Muscovite started slowly and had to recover from two service breaks in the first set but stepped up her pace to end up a convincing winner over Benesova.
Zvonareva will face another Czech, Petra Kvitova, in the last eight as she looks to seal a place in the Melbourne Park semi-finals for the second time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation