Second seed Zvonareva sweeps into Oz Open quarter-finals
Melbourne: Second seed Vera Zvonareva continued her quest for a first grand slam title with a commanding 6-4, 6-1 victory over unseeded Czech Iveta Benesova to reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Monday.
The Russian, who has lost in the finals of the last two grand slams at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open, sealed the victory on her second match point with a thumping forehand crosscourt winner.
The 26-year-old Muscovite started slowly and had to recover from two service breaks in the first set but stepped up her pace to end up a convincing winner over Benesova.
Zvonareva will face another Czech, Petra Kvitova, in the last eight as she looks to seal a place in the Melbourne Park semi-finals for the second time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'