Security deployment in Manipur to prevent torch light rallies
Imphal: Police and security personnel were
deployed at various locations here to prevent any organisation
from taking out torch light rallies in Manipur capital
complex, defying night curfew.
Official sources said police mobile teams were also
deputed to prevent any untoward incident during the proposed
torchlight rally tonight.
As part of the continuing agitation, major social
organisation Apunba Lup (AL) has plans to take out a torch
light rally tonight at the Manipur capital complex here to
press its demand for resignation of Chief Minister O. Ibobi
Singh over the killing of a youth by police commandos in a
"fake" encounter on July 23 last.
The AL, in a statement, urged the people to use any
available weapon, such as sticks, if the police and security
personnel attempted to foil the proposed torchlight rallies
in Imphal and surrounding areas.
The AL has been organising sit-in protests, general strike
and other forms of democratic agitation across Manipur for the
past four weeks demanding the resignation of Ibobi Singh on
moral ground, dismissal of commandos involved in the July 23
incident, legal action against them and serious action against
senior police officials responsible deployment of commandos at
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi