Security deployment in Manipur to prevent torch light rallies
Imphal: Police and security personnel were
deployed at various locations here to prevent any organisation
from taking out torch light rallies in Manipur capital
complex, defying night curfew.
Official sources said police mobile teams were also
deputed to prevent any untoward incident during the proposed
torchlight rally tonight.
As part of the continuing agitation, major social
organisation Apunba Lup (AL) has plans to take out a torch
light rally tonight at the Manipur capital complex here to
press its demand for resignation of Chief Minister O. Ibobi
Singh over the killing of a youth by police commandos in a
"fake" encounter on July 23 last.
The AL, in a statement, urged the people to use any
available weapon, such as sticks, if the police and security
personnel attempted to foil the proposed torchlight rallies
in Imphal and surrounding areas.
The AL has been organising sit-in protests, general strike
and other forms of democratic agitation across Manipur for the
past four weeks demanding the resignation of Ibobi Singh on
moral ground, dismissal of commandos involved in the July 23
incident, legal action against them and serious action against
senior police officials responsible deployment of commandos at
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram