Security for non-Manipuri workers stepped up
Imphal: With 16 migrant labourers having been killed by unidentified gunmen in four valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal and Bishenpur this year, the
Manipur government has stepped up security at places where they reside, official sources said.
The most gruesome incident was the kidnapping of nine migrant small traders and killing of six of them at Keibul area in Bishenpur district on June 5, the sources said.
The police have been asked patrol round-the-clock places particularly Imphal and surrounding areas where migrant labourers worked, the sources said.
The latest killing was the gunning down of a migrant labourer by unidentified gunmen at Sagolband a2ea near here in Imphal west distriCt last Tuesday.
Non-local workers have been asked not to venture into interior ardas of the state for their own safety, they said.
Senior Superintendent of Police, Imphal West district L Kailun appealed to migrant labourers to stay and work within Imphal municipality and Imphal market areas only, the sources said.
Public Distribution and Supply minister Yqmkham Erabot said the killing of migrant labourers was being carried out by senseless people.
Stating that steps had been taken to protect migrant workers, Erabot said that the killings would not solve any problem.
Such labourers in his Wangkhei assembly constituency numbering around 600 here have been asked to stay at government relief camps after they approached the minister.
Manipur Paople`s Party (MPP) MLA Ng Bijoy had recently stated that inner line permit system which restricts the inflow of migrant labourers should be introduced in the state, but condemned the killings.
The system is an force in neighbourifg Nagaland, Iizoram and Arunachal Pradesh, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state