Security stepped up in Puducherry ahead of counting
Puducherry: Elaborate security arrangements
have been put in place in the Union Territory ahead of the
counting of votes tomorrow of the April 13 assembly polls, a
top police official said on Thursday.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Atul Khatiyar said 65
senior police officers, 625 constables and two sections of
Central Industrial Security Force will be on duty to ensure
law and order in and around the Bharathidasan Government
College for women, the counting centre for the votes polled in
Puducherry`s 23 constituencies.
Police have identified 25 sensitive pockets in the
Puducherry region and armed police personnel will be deployed
in these pockets for 24 hours from 8 am tomorrow, Khatiyar
District Election officer G Ragesh Chandra said counting
will start from 8 am onwards and elaborate arrangements were
made at the centres for smooth conduct of counting. "Only
persons with identity cards will be permitted inside the
counting centre", he said.
He added the counting centre for Karaikal will be Aringar
Anna Government Arts College and counting centres for the Mahe
and Yanam regions will be Jawaharlal Nehru government higher
secondary school and the mini civil station respectively.
Chandra said prohibitory orders under section 144 CrPC
had been promulgated and none would be allowed to carry arms
or ammunitions near the counting centres. Liquor, toddy and
arrack shops and bar-attached restaurants will remain closed
tomorrow. He said executive magistrates had been appointed to
effectively supervise the law and order situation.
Chandra said EC had appointed ten observers to monitor
counting in Puducherry district. He appealed to all
candidates, their agents and political parties to extend full
cooperation for its smooth conduct.
Ninety seven supervisors, an equal number of assistants and
79 micro observers were being deployed, he said, adding each
counting table will be video graphed during counting process.
Khatiyar said 44 cases involving poll-related violence had
been booked since the model code of conduct came into force in
the Union Territory and the accused in all but three cases had
been charge sheeted.
Khatiyar said of the 103 cases booked for alleged violation
of model code of conduct, the police have transferred six
cases to the CID unit in Puducherry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview