Semenya delighted at being cleared to compete as woman
Monaco: Controversial athlete Caster Semenya expressed her delight at being cleared to compete as a woman following nearly a year of speculation over her gender.
The 19-year-old South African 800m world champion was given the green light to run again after a review by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) of gender-verification tests.
"The process initiated in 2009 in the case of Caster Semenya has now been completed," the IAAF said in a statement.”
"The IAAF accepts the conclusion of a panel of medical experts that she can compete with immediate effect."
The IAAF added: "The medical details of the case remain confidential and the IAAF will make no further comment on the matter."
Semenya, whose muscular physique and deep voice drew questions about her gender, said today she was "thrilled" to return to women`s track.
"I am thrilled to enter the global athletics arena once again and look forward to competing with all the disputes behind me," she said in a statement released by her lawyers. Her lawyer Greg Nott said the settlement resulted from protracted negotiations between medical teams of the IAAF and Semenya`s own team, presided over by an international mediator.”
Terms of the agreement will remain confidential, he said.
Semenya has not run since leaked test results said she was a hermaphrodite following her win at the world championships in Berlin in August, 2009.
The incident sparked anger from the South African public and government, who have rallied behind the athlete.
The furore over Semenya`s sexuality first erupted after she lowered her personal best in the 800 metres by more than four seconds at the African Junior Championships, weeks before the 2009 worlds.
She went on to lower her personal best to 1:55.45 in Berlin.
Semenya could be competing again as early as the World Junior Championships in Canada from July 19 and October`s Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!