Semenya finds it hard to get sponsors, coach says
Caster Semenya is finding it hard to get sponsors despite being a world champion, her coach said on Friday.
"It is tough for Caster," Michael Seme told to reporters. "If you look overseas you will see other world champions featuring in a lot of advertising campaigns and you see their faces up on billboards but that doesn`t happen for Caster."
Semenya, who underwent gender verification tests after winning 800 metres gold at the world championships in August 2009, did not have as much financial backing as she would have liked, Seme said.
Caster does receive help from Nike while the Department of Sports and Recreation and the University of Pretoria help out with her education but there isn`t spare money," Seme said in a telephone interview.
"For instance, if she requires special equipment she can`t just go out and get it."
Reports in South Africa about Semenya`s financial situation have sparked a campaign by a group of fans to raise one million rand ($143,600) for the runner by December.
"People love her," Thobeka Magcai, spokesperson for the campaign told to reporters.
"She has been through such a lot at such a young age and we just want to show our support for her and say that we want to see you back on the world stage, winning medals."
Semenya, who is studying towards a sports science degree at the University of Pretoria, pulled out of the recent Commonwealth Games in Delhi because of a back injury.
"Caster`s treatment is going well and she has just started some light training," Seme said. "But we are taking it slow to allow her back to heal properly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in