Semi-final is Spain`s biggest-ever match: Casillas
Cape Town: Spain`s World Cup semi-final against Germany is the most important soccer match in the nation`s history, more important even than their Euro 2008 victory, according to captain Iker Casillas.
Their triumph two years ago, when they beat Germany in the final in Vienna, was their first major trophy in 44 years but goalkeeper Casillas said that was now part of history and the Spanish people wanted more.
"People are not telling us how good we were at Euro 2008," Casillas said in an interview published on the Spanish soccer federation`s website (www.rfef.es) on Monday.
"People are saying we have to win the World Cup. The people want the World Cup," he added.
"We know that the Germany match is the most important in our history, even more than the Euro 2008 final in Austria."
Spain have already made history by progressing to a World Cup knockout semi-final for the first time and play the Germans on Wednesday in Durban for a place in the final at Johannesburg`s Soccer City stadium on July 11.
The Spanish finished fourth at the 1950 World Cup in Brazil when the competition had a different format, with a group phase followed by a mini league of four teams deciding who advanced to the final.
"We did not come here to finish fourth," Casillas said.
"The European championships is in the past and was a complete success, it was fantastic," he added.
"Everyone was flying the (Spanish) flag from the rooftops but now, from what we are seeing, this is the most important match for Spain for a very long time."
Casillas said he had been surprised that some of the world`s best forwards, including current World Player of the Year Lionel Messi and his immediate predecessor Cristiano Ronaldo, had exited the tournament in South Africa early.
"This shows that a national team is not at all about only one player," said Casillas, who plays with Ronaldo at La Liga club Real Madrid.
"A player can win you a tournament, like Argentina and (Diego) Maradona (in Mexico in 1986) but today, more and more, the team is what counts.”
"A player can perform very well but at the end of the day everything is based around teamwork."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday