`Sena-BJP to follow 2004 formula for Maha Assembly polls`
Mumbai: Opposition Shiv Sena and BJP would
follow the 2004 Assembly elections formula for the October 13
polls, with Sena contesting 169 and BJP 119 for the 288-member
House, a senior BJP leader said.
"The Sena-BJP alliance has nearly finalised its
seat-sharing and the parties would contest the same number of
seats they did last time," state BJP president Nitin Gadkari said.
BJP would contest on 119 seats for the 288-member
Maharashtra Assembly for which elections are being held on
"The announcement about the seat sharing would be made
in a couple of days," Gadkari said.
Asked if there are differences in the Saffron alliance
over Guhagar Assembly seat in coastal Konkan, Gadkari said no.
"We will not make Guhagar a prestige issue," Gadkari
said. Guhagar seat, currently with the BJP, is understood to
be the main stumbling block in delaying the Saffron alliance`s
seat allocation for the October 13 Assembly elections.
The seat has become the bone of contention following
delimitation. The Sena wants the seat for Leader of Opposition
Ramdas Kadam whose traditional constituency, Khed, does not
On the issue of crisis in the party at national level,
Gadkari said it won`t affect the Maharashtra polls.
"Media has blown the issue out of proportion but it
would not have any impact on the state polls," he said.
Speaking on the poll agenda, Gadkari said the party
would focus more on the development politics rather than caste
"We have prepared Maharashtra vision document 2020 and
addressed major issues like power, agriculture, health, water,
employment and tourism," he said.
Stating that BJP would not nominate criminals in the
polls arena, Gadkari said, "It is tragic that winnability has
become the criterion and as a result, criminal elements get
Referring to 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, Gadkari said
the Congress-NCP government has failed to tackle the security
issues and overall law and order situation in the state.
Gadkari pointed to the recent riots in Miraj town of
western Maharashtra, saying "the state government failed to
handle the situation efficiently."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery