Sengupta shocks Bologan in Gibraltar chess tourney
Gibraltar: Grandmaster Deep Sengupta shocked fifth seed Viktor Bologan of Moldova in the second round of Tradewise Gibraltar chess tournament.
In sublime form for some time now, Sengupta had recently won the Hastings International tournament and the victory over Bologan is one of the career best for the young GM.
The day`s thunder however was stolen by 80-year-old Grandmaster Viktor Korchnoi who defeated third seed and world number 26 Fabiano Caruana of Italy, more than 60 years his junior.
It turned out to be a generally good day for the Indians as GMs Sandipan Chanda and G N Gopal also emerged as the co-leaders in this strong tournament that has a little over Rs 90 lakh in prizes. Chanda accounted for America`s Anna Zatonskih while Gopal had it easy against Anthony Bellaiche of France.
After an unexpected first round draw against Justin Sarkar of United States, former world junior champion P Harikrishna also came back to the winning ways against compatriot GM norm holder Vaibhav Suri.
Krishnan Sasikiran, who started the tournament with a half point bye from the opener began his catching-up act at the expense of Ruiz Monica Calzetta of Spain while double GM norm holder D Harika also scored her first win defeating Vea Odin Blikra of Norway.
Eesha Karavade also did well to hold GM Giorgi Kacheishvili to a creditable draw but Arghyadip Das found his nemesis in Vasilios Kotronias of Greece.
At the top of the tables, top seed Vassily Ivanchuk had little troubles in cruising past Pable Lafuente of Argentina but second seed and defending champion Michael Adams of England was forced to split the point by Nana Dzagnidze of Georgia.
Deep Sengupta was the pick amongst the Indians with his clinical performance against Bologan. The Indian stuck to his first love French defense and found Bologan`s treatment inadequate in the opening.
Sengupta seized the initiative with a timely breakthrough on the kingside and as Bologan went on the other flank looking for the counter play the Indian caused further damage with some wily manoeuvres. The game lasted 35 moves.
Chanda faced the Queen`s gambit declined against Anna Zatonskih and outplayed her in the heavy pieces endgame to win in 41 moves while Harikrishna had to work hard to outwit youngster Vaibhav Suri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'