Sensex advances gain; RIL, HDFC lead rally
Mumbai: Advancing its gain further, The Bombay Stock Exchange bellwether index Sensex on Thursday opened 0.36 percent higher on a firm Asian market.
The 30-share Bombay Stock Exchange barometer, which gained a hefty 539 points to close at a more-than two months high of 17,231.11 yesterday, was trading at 17,305.26 or 74.15 points higher at 10.08 am today.
At the same time, broader 50-share Nifty of the National Stock Exchange too trading at marginally higher than previous close of 5144.60 at 5163.70 or 0.37 percent higher.
Major gainers are HDFC (6.27%), ONGC (3.81%), Sterlite (4.52%), BHEL (4.01%), RIL (5.78%).
Meanwhile, the rupee gained on Thursday in line with regional peers and tracking gains in other Asian shares with traders eyeing the local stocks open after they rose to their highest close since mid-October.
At 9:06 a.m. the partially convertible rupee was at 46.75/76 per dollar, stronger than its close of 46.87/88 on Wednesday.
All other major Asian markets were rose on Thursday.
Japan`s Nikkei jumped 1.6 percent to its highest in three months, lifted by high-tech exporters such as Advantest on a weaker yen and after better-than-expected earnings from US peers.
Similarly, the Shanghai Composite Index (.SSEC) led the regional gains, jumping 1.9 percent MSCI index of Asia Pacific stocks outside Japan rose 1 percent but trading was thinned ahead of the Christmas and New Year holidays.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS