Sensex dips below 16k level, tanks 290 pts in opening trade
Mumbai: The BSE benchmark Sensex Thursday dipped below 16,000 points level, the lowest in nearly two months, by losing about 290 points in opening trade as foreign funds took to frantic selling triggered by a meltdown in the global markets.
Also, today being the last session of monthly expiry in the derivatives segment, squaring-up of positions by market players further dampened the trading sentiment.
The 30-share index fell by 289.66 points to trade below 16,000 points level at 15,993.83 points in opening trade. The level last seen on September 7.
The Sensex had lost over 527 points in the past three sessions.
The wide-based NSE index Nifty too dipped belo w 4,800 points. It was trading 87.75 points down at 4,738.40 points.
Brokers said continued profit-taking by funds and investors, driven by overnight losses in the US markets after a disappointing consumer confidence report and weak trend in
early trade on other Asian bourses also cast their shadows on the trading sentiment here.
Besides, squaring-up of pending outstanding positions on the last day of monthly expiry in the derivatives segment also dragged stocks down, they said.
Shares of RIL traded 1.15 per cent down at Rs 2,012.25, and Infosys by 2.03 per cent to Rs 2,211.
Meanwhile, the the Hong Kong`s Hang Seng index was down 2.50 per cent. The US Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 1.21 per cent down yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy