Sensex down 125 points in opening trade on profit-booking
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex fell over 125 points in early trade on Tuesday as foreign funds and retail investors preferred to book profits after witnessing strong rally in the past few sessions.
However, firming trends in global markets restricted losses on the domestic bourses here.
The BSE 30-share benchmark Sensex, which had gained over 940 points in the past two sessions, fell by 125.76 points at 15,065.25.
Similarly, the Nifty index on the wide-based National Stock Exchange lost 29.35 points to 4,472.90.
Stocks of IT, realty, metals and auto sectors, which had risen sharply in the recent run-up, succumbed to profit-taking.
Market analysts said emergence of profit-booking by major players including foreign funds at existing higher levels, mainly led to a fall in select stocks.
Among software exporters, Infosys Technologies fell by 1.57 percent at Rs 1,941.70 and TCS Ltd by 0.96 percent at Rs 495.30 but Wipro surged 1.08 percent at Rs 465 on hopes of encouraging results.
Further, Reliance Industries fell by 0.18 percent at Rs 2,027, Rcom by 0.30 percent at Rs 269.20, Sterlite Industries by 2.72 percent at Rs 593.40, Tata Steel by 2.45 percent at Rs 381.50, State Bank of India by 1.18 percent at Rs 1,700.80, ICICI Bank by 0.57 percent at Rs 782.65 and DLF Ltd by 2.02 percent at Rs 343.65.
Bucking the trend, Dr Reddy`s Laboratories quoted 2.03 percent higher at Rs 807 ahead of their quarter earnings.
The US Dow Jones Industrial Average ended 1.19 percent higher yesterday while Japan`s Nikkei was up 1.4 percent in the morning trade today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared