Sensex down 52 points, closes at 16,999
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex Wednesday fell 0.3 per cent as investors sold shares to book profits, ending a three-day rally.
The 30-share benchmark index, which gained over 355
points in the last three days, attracted profit selling and
closed 51.87 points, or 0.3 per cent lower to 16,998.78. The
key-index moved between 17,098.79 and 16,958.41 points during
Similarly, the wide-based National Stock Exchange index
Nifty moved between 5,079.30 and 5,041.65, before ending lower
by 7.55 points at 5,054.70.
Besides profit booking, mixed Asian cues and better
European trend, kept the market volatile before ending with
In the 30-BSE index stocks, 18 counters recorded losses
while 12 ended with gains.
Oil and gas, bank, capital goods, public sector
undertaking and power sector stocks acted as a drag on the
market, while metal, FMCG, IT, Realty and consumer durable
segments saved the market from a major fall.
Banking stocks led by private lender ICICI Bank fell
after HSBC Holdings Chairman Stephen Green said new rules may
reduce the amount of credit available.
The fall in the market was checked as information
technology stocks led by Wipro Ltd rose after Morgan Stanley
said the company expects increased demand for information
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried