Sensex down 63 points in opening trade
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex on Thursday fell by over 63 points to 16,849.59 in opening trade on fresh capital outflows by foreign funds, triggered by weak global markets.
Profit-taking by retail investors in some stocks also put pressure on the stock prices.
The Sensex, which gained 35.61 points in Wednesday’s choppy trade, moved down by 63.18 points, or 0.37 percent to 16,849.59 in opening trade.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty also drifted by 21.65 points, or 0.42 percent to 5,020.40.
Brokers said fresh selling by funds and retail investors following overnight losses on the US market and weak opening on the other Asian bourses despite the Federal Reserve`s confidence about the US economy mainly dampened the trading sentiments here.
Besides, profit booking by retail investors in select counters at prevailing prices, also attributed to fall in stock prices, they said.
Major losers, which dragged the Sensex down were Reliance that fell by 0.47 percent to Rs 1,042, State Bank of India by 0.43 percent to Rs 2,143.45, ICICI Bank by 0.25 percent to Rs 821.20, HDFC Bank by 1.15 percent to Rs 1,673, HDFC Ltd by 1.14 percent to Rs 2,579 DLF Ltd 1.32 percent to Rs 364.40 and Tata Power by 0.73 percent to Rs 1,315.50.
Hong Kong`s Hang Seng index was down 1.02 percent in the morning trade. The US Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 0.10 per cent down on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof