Sensex down 70 points; closes at 17,119
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark
Sensex on Friday shed early gains to close lower by over 70 points
as profit-selling emerged after the industrial growth for
September failed to meet market expectations.
After surging 162 points in early trade, the Sensex fell
to close lower by 70.28 points at 17,119.03.
The National Stock Exchange index Nifty tested the
year`s high of 5,182.55 but ended down by 17.35 points to
Marketmen said 10.3 per cent industrial growth in October
against 0.1 per cent in the same month last year was below
Stocks in interest-related sectors like realty, FMCG and
financial companies were major losers.
In the 30-BSE index stocks, 23 recorded losses while
seven ended with gains.
Capital goods, power and auto sector stocks, however,
attracted buying. A better trend in Asian region and higher
opening in European stock markets partly supported the market.
The banking sector index suffered the most by losing
1.22 per cent to 10,106.17, followed by realty sector index by
0.94 per cent to 3,922.62.
FMCG index lost 0.73 per cent to 2,848.82, healthcare
index 0.63 per cent to 4,932.29, tech index 0.58 per cent to
3,159.49, and oil and gas index 0.53 per cent to 10,368.86.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days