Sensex down 80 pts in opening trade on profit-booking
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark
Sensex slipped by over 80 points in opening trade on Friday
snapping its three-session winning streak on emergence of
profit-booking at higher levels amid weak Asian markets.
However, gains in some heavy-weight stocks capped losses.
The BSE-30 share benchmark Sensex, which had gained over
495 points or 3.06 percent in the past three sessions, fell
by 80.22 points or 0.48 percent at 16,630.89 in opening trade
with retreating banking, realty and metal stocks.
Similarly, the Nifty on the wide-based National Stock
Exchange plunged by 24.80 points to 4,965.55 after hitting
5,000-points level for the first time since May last year.
Brokers said emergence of profit-booking by fund as well
as retail investors after recording handsome gains in the past
three sessions and weakening trends on the other Asian bourses
attributed to the decline in stock prices.
The major losers were the State Bank of India- down by
1.12 percent to Rs 2,083, ICICI Bank by 1.43 percent to Rs
860.05, HDFC Bank by 0.28 percent to Rs 1,532.10, Sterlite
Industries by 1.94 percent to Rs 457, Hindalco by 0.40 percent to Rs 135.50, DLF Ltd by 0.66 percent to Rs 417, Bharti
Airtel by 0.15 percent to Rs 432.50 and Larsen and Toubro by
0.33 percent to Rs 1,639.
Bucking the trend, Reliance Industries after yesterday`s
plunge, traded 0.71 percent higher at Rs 2,101.10 and Infosys
Technologies rose by 0.60 percent to Rs 2,375.
Japan`s Nikkei was down almost 1.2 percent, while Hong
Kong`s Hang Seng index shed 0.24 percent in morning trade
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says