Sensex ends 87 points up at 17,509.8
Mumbai: Snapping its four-day losing streak, the Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark index Sensex on Wednesday emerged from early heavy losses to end with a gain of 87.29 points on renewed buying by funds in heavy-weight counters led by information technology and metals.
The Sensex, which commenced the day with a fall of 146 points, recovered to close with a gain of 87.29 points, or 0.50 per cent at 17,509.80. The key index lost nearly 280 points in the last four sessions.
Similarly, the wide-based National Stock Exchange indexNifty 50 rose by 23.55 points settle the day at 5,233.95, after dipping to a low of 5,169.55 during the session.
Amongst the 30 Sensex scrips, 15 closed with gains and the rest in the red. While the IT and tech continued to rally for the second day on Wednesday after the bellwether Infosys had beat the street with its Q3 earnings on Tuesday, metals and healthcare sectors too gained the most on renewed buying.
The fag-end rally was backed by a rebound in the European markets, bucking the early weak trend in the Asian region following the weak Wall Street cues overnight. All the major Asian indices closed the day in deep red following the Chinese
Central hiked the CRR by half-a-percentage points yesterday.
Software exporters led Infosys and TCS, which rose to record high on brisk buying, gained the most on expectations sales will rise, while banks continued their fall for the second day on concerns monetary policy may soon be tightened and their NPAs are rising. However, auto, bank, FMCG and capital goods stocks capped the gains.
TCS rallied 5.3 per cent on Wednesday on expectation that it will announce a stellar Q3 results on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!