Sensex ends below 17,000; at 16,978.36
Mumbai: A benchmark index of Indian equities Friday closed below the psychologically important 17,000-point mark Friday. It ended 198 points lower, giving up gains earned on the back of better than expected results from heavyweight Reliance Industries.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,978.36 points, closed at 16,852.59 points (provisional), down 198.55 points or 1.16 percent from its previous close at 17,051.14 points.
It had slipped over 443 points about an hour after the opening bell.
At the National Stock Exchange (NSE), the broader 50-share S&P CNX Nifty ended at 5,029.65 points against the previous close at 5,094.15 points, a loss of 1.27 percent.
Broader markets were also hit by selling pressure, with the BSE midcap index ending 1.09 percent down and the BSE small cap index 1.18 percent lower.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi