Sensex ends below 17,000; at 16,978.36
Mumbai: A benchmark index of Indian equities Friday closed below the psychologically important 17,000-point mark Friday. It ended 198 points lower, giving up gains earned on the back of better than expected results from heavyweight Reliance Industries.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,978.36 points, closed at 16,852.59 points (provisional), down 198.55 points or 1.16 percent from its previous close at 17,051.14 points.
It had slipped over 443 points about an hour after the opening bell.
At the National Stock Exchange (NSE), the broader 50-share S&P CNX Nifty ended at 5,029.65 points against the previous close at 5,094.15 points, a loss of 1.27 percent.
Broader markets were also hit by selling pressure, with the BSE midcap index ending 1.09 percent down and the BSE small cap index 1.18 percent lower.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past