Sensex ends below 17,000; at 16,978.36
Mumbai: A benchmark index of Indian equities Friday closed below the psychologically important 17,000-point mark Friday. It ended 198 points lower, giving up gains earned on the back of better than expected results from heavyweight Reliance Industries.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,978.36 points, closed at 16,852.59 points (provisional), down 198.55 points or 1.16 percent from its previous close at 17,051.14 points.
It had slipped over 443 points about an hour after the opening bell.
At the National Stock Exchange (NSE), the broader 50-share S&P CNX Nifty ended at 5,029.65 points against the previous close at 5,094.15 points, a loss of 1.27 percent.
Broader markets were also hit by selling pressure, with the BSE midcap index ending 1.09 percent down and the BSE small cap index 1.18 percent lower.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray