Sensex ends marginally lower, at 16,356 points
Mumbai: In a choppy session, the Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark index, Sensex, erased early losses to end flat on Monday on weak global cues.
Tracking Asian markets, the Sensex opened 175 points down and reminded weak throughout the day but a fag-end buying in telecom stocks helped recover the early sharp decline and closed just 1.93 points down at 16,356.03 after moving between 16,422.40 and 16,160.80 during the day.
However, the National Stock Exchange index Nifty 50 fared better, despite opening 46 points down, by gaining 17.65 points to close at 4,899.70. The index moved between 4,918.80 and 4,827.15 during the day.
Among the 30 Sensex stocks, 21 counters led by consumer durables and healthcare sectors gained while nine closed with losses. While IT heavyweight Infosys, which is the second largest Sensex counter, slid Rs 27.50 to Rs 2,449.20, the index leader Reliance ended flat at Rs 1,046.60.
The gain was primarily driven telecom stocks such as Bharti Airtel after Credit Suisse upgraded the sector, while the banking and finance companies put up a bad show on Monday, leading to a falt closing, said brokers.
Investors are seen shifting their funds to different sectors, fearing the credit cost rise may impact on interest linked sectors, they added.
A better afternoon trend in Asian markets and a better opening in Europe also partly influenced the trading sentiment.
Bharti Airtel climbed Rs 4.20 to Rs 310.70 and Reliance Communications rose by Rs 3.95 to Rs 173.80.
The consumer durables sector gained the most by adding 5.70 percent to 4,015.90 followed by the healthcare index by 2.55 per cent to 4,886.44.
The auto sector index also rose by 1.69 per cent to 7,070.85 on very good January sales figures, the metal index by 1.60 per cent to 16,217.40, oil and gas index by 0.75 percent to 10,013.98, realty index by 0.73 per cent to 3,525.73 and public sector index by 0.68 per cent to 9,538.67.
However, a fall in the FMCG, IT and banking counters capped the market from any rise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues