Sensex falls by 182 points ahead of RBI policy review
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex opened lower by 182 points on Friday on heavy selling by funds ahead of the Reserve Bank`s monetary policy review amid weakening global trend.
The 30-share index dropped by 182.03 points to 16,124.84 points in the first five minutes of trading. The BSE barometer had closed up by 17 points yesterday.
The National Stock Exchange index Nifty fell by 53.60 points to 4,813.65 points.
Marketmen said investors sold shares on fears that RBI in its monetary policy review later in the day may hike interest rates to stem the rising inflation.
Trading sentiment also weakened on falling trend in global markets.
Hong Kong`s Hang Seng was down by 1.27 percent, while Tokyo Stock Exchange`s benchmark Nikkei-225 fell by 1.56 percent as investors took their cue from an overnight slump on Wall Street.
US markets fell by over 1 percent after weak forecast from Qualcomm and cautious comments from Standard & Poor`s on British banks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- OMG! Hilarious bomb scare prank – Must Watch
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!