Sensex gains 104 points in opening trade
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex on Wednesday rose by 104 points in opening trade on sustained buying by foreign funds, tracking firming Asian bourses.
The 30-share index gained 104.09 points, or 0.58 percent, at 17,790.33 points, a level not seen since February 2008.
All the sectoral indices were trading in positive zone with gains up to 0.92 percent.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty regained 5,300 points level after February 28, 2008 to trade 32.95 points, or 0.62 percent, higher at 5,310.85 points.
Brokers attributed gains in stocks to firming trend on other Asian bourses, which were up by almost 0.50 per cent in the morning trade.
Besides, expectations of higher corporate earnings for the December quarter also buoyed the trading sentiments, they added.
Metal stocks continued their upward journey in anticipation of pick up in demand on the back of signs of recovery in global economy.
Sterlite Industries gained 0.50 percent to Rs 919.50, Tata Steel up by 1 percent to Rs 655.40, Gujarat NRE by 2.93 percent to Rs 95, Jindal Steel and power by 0.58 percent to Rs 732.25 and Ispat Industries by 1.75 percent to Rs 23.20.
Reliance Industries rose by by 0.59 percent to Rs 1,075.90, Rcom by 1.05 percent to Rs 183.20, ONGC by 1.12 per cent to Rs 1,221.50 and NTPC by 1.74 percent to Rs 233.30.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm