Sensex highest in 19 months; closes at 17,360.61 pts
Mumbai: Extending the gains for the third
straight day, the Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex today
rallied 130 points to close at a 19-month high amid a string
of positive news and strong global cues.
Brokers said unexpected softening in food inflation to
18.65 per cent and a promising 5.3 per cent core sector growth
in Nov helped markets continue to spread Christmas jingles.
The 30-share index initially gyrated in a narrow range
but jumped in the last one hour to conclude the day gaining
129.50 or 0.75 per cent over its previous close at 17,360.61--
a level not seen since May 16, 2008. The Sensex has gained
over 740 points in three days of sustained buying by funds.
Similarly, the broader 50-share Nifty of the National
Stock Exchange touched a 19-month high today by gaining 33.80
points or 0.66 per cent to end the day at 5,178.40-- a level
not seen since May 05, 2008-- from its last close.
Marketmen said investors in early trade were awaiting
clear triggers after yesterday`s massive rally. The sentiment
got a boost when news of core sector growth and lower food
inflation figures trickled in the afternoon. The late rally
was driven by funds getting onto a buying spree, they added.
Covering short positions ahead of the December expiry
and a long four-day weekend also helped push the Sensex up.
Food inflation unexpectedly softened to 18.65 per cent
for the week ended December 12 from 19.95 per cent in last
week. Infrastructure industries grew by a healthy 5.3 per cent
in Nov against meager a 0.8 per cent a year ago, in line with
the recovery in industrial growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened