Sensex on a free fall; Nifty below 4,900 level
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex on Wednesday fell sharply by 337 points at mid-session on heavy selling by foreign funds ahead of settlement in derivatives segment amid weakening global trend.
The 30-share index declined by 337.89 points to 16,442.57 points at 1230 hrs as brokers and funds off-loaded positions in realty, auto and metal stocks.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty fell below psychological level of 4,900 points by losing 110.40 points to 4,897.50 points. It commenced the day below 5,000 points level.
Marketmen said trading sentiment remained bearish in line with subdued global markets on reports that China may impose further measures to squeeze money supply.
The Tokyo Stock Exchange`s benchmark Nikkei-225 closed lower 0.71 per cent as a stronger yen weighed on exporters. The US stock markets had closed marginally lower last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'