Sensex pares early gains on inflation worries; closes at 16,306
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark index Sensex on Thursday pared early gains and closed almost flat, as worried funds booked profit after the latest food inflation data further fuelled their fears that the RBI may tighten key policy rates on Friday.
The 30-share index, which had lost 1,351 points in last six straight sessions of losses, surged to 16,524.69 before ending with a moderate gain of 17.05 points at 16,306.87.
Foreign funds selling to clear their positions on expiry of the January contracts in derivatives segment and investors refraining from buying ahead of the monetary policy tomorrow mainly kept the stocks fluctuating throughout the session.
The National Stock Exchange index Nifty 50, however, fared better with a gain of 14.15 points to 4,867.25, after touching the day`s high of 4,929.90.
Food inflation rose to 17.40 per cent for the week ended January 16 from 16.81 per cent in the previous week, according to the official data released today.
The Reserve Bank in its monetary policy review tomorrow may hike cash reserve ratio and key policy rates to check the surging prices.
In 30-BSE kitty stocks, 12 advanced while 18 declined, with the business volume rising to record high this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway