Sensex pares early gains on inflation worries; closes at 16,306
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark index Sensex on Thursday pared early gains and closed almost flat, as worried funds booked profit after the latest food inflation data further fuelled their fears that the RBI may tighten key policy rates on Friday.
The 30-share index, which had lost 1,351 points in last six straight sessions of losses, surged to 16,524.69 before ending with a moderate gain of 17.05 points at 16,306.87.
Foreign funds selling to clear their positions on expiry of the January contracts in derivatives segment and investors refraining from buying ahead of the monetary policy tomorrow mainly kept the stocks fluctuating throughout the session.
The National Stock Exchange index Nifty 50, however, fared better with a gain of 14.15 points to 4,867.25, after touching the day`s high of 4,929.90.
Food inflation rose to 17.40 per cent for the week ended January 16 from 16.81 per cent in the previous week, according to the official data released today.
The Reserve Bank in its monetary policy review tomorrow may hike cash reserve ratio and key policy rates to check the surging prices.
In 30-BSE kitty stocks, 12 advanced while 18 declined, with the business volume rising to record high this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!