Sensex rises 152 pts in opening trade, NHPC lists at premium
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark index Sensex surged by 152 points in opening trade on Tuesday on emergence of buying by funds and retail investors amid firming trends in other Asian bourses.
The 30-share BSE Sensex rose by 152.30 points, or 0.97 per cent to 15,818.94 points in opening trade with IT and realty stocks leading the rally. The BSE barometer had lost 255.70 points, or 1.6 percent in yesterday`s trade.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty rose by 43.60 points, or 0.93 percent to 4,705.70 points.
Brokers said buying activity on the domestic markets picked up momentum largely on the back of firming trend at other Asian equity markets which were up by almost 0.5 percent in the morning trade, buoyed by overnight gains on the US markets.
Stocks of state-run hydro power generator NHPC listed on the bourses with premium.
NHPC stocks shot up by Rs 3.75, or 10.41 percent to Rs 39.75. Over 58 lakh shares changed hands in the BSE.
Other gainers were Reliance Industries by 1.14 percent to Rs 2,027, Reliance Infra by 1.56 percent to Rs 1,163.90, Rcom by 1.71 percent to Rs 264.95, DLF Ltd 2.05 percent to Rs 432.90, Bharti Airtel by 1.95 percent to Rs 433,Tata Steel by 1.54 percent to Rs 430.85, Wipro by 1.13 percent to Rs 557 and Larsen and Toubro by 1.17 percent to Rs 1,586.
Automakers such as Maruti Suzuki gained 1.63 percent to Rs 1,460, Mahindra and Mahindra up 1.41 percent to Rs 872.15 and Hero Honda by 1.23 percent to Rs 1,530 ahead of the release of monthly auto sales numbers.
The Japan`s benchmark Nikkei index surged by 0.57 percent, while Hong Kong`s Hang Seng index was up 0.66 percent in the morning trade today.
The US down Jones Industrial Average, however, ended 0.50 percent down in yesterday`s trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand