Sensex sheds 192 points, ends at 16,163
Mumbai: After a promising start, the Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark index Sensex on Tuesday fell to heavy profit booking across the counters in the second half, shaving off over 192 points.
Tracking firm global cues, the Sensex surged 170 points in opening trade, but could not sustain the rally as market players went on a selling spree across counters, especially in realty, banking, auto and metal stocks, pulling the index down by 192.59 points to close at 16,163.44.
Trading sentiment also affected as NTPC fell after the Government fixed the issue price at Rs 201 for its forthcoming follow-on issue--which is much lower than even yesterday`s closing price. The stock fell by Rs 5.20 to Rs 206.05, its lowest close in three months.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty 50 too fell tumbled by 69.60 points to 4,830.10, after touching the day`s low of 4,814.10. This is despite a 51 per cent gap-up opening in the morning.
The major pull down came in from the market leader Reliance Industries which shed Rs 20 to Rs 1,026.60, followed by Infosys which shed Rs 11.55 at Rs 2,437.65, SBI which tumbled by Rs 43.30 to Rs 1,977.80 and realty major DLF by Rs 6.75 to Rs 326.20. These four stocks carry nearly 30 per cent weight on the key index.
Among the 30 Sensex counters, 26 fell while four ended with gains. However, all the sectoral indices ended in red today.
The realty index suffered the most by losing 2.45 percent to 3,439.47, fearing the costly credit might influence home sales. Banking index was second worst performer by losing 1.99 per cent to 9,461.11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery