Sensex surges 171 pts in opening trade
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark
Sensex on Tuesday jumped by over 170 points, or 0.92 per cent, in
opening trade on buying by foreign funds, driven by rally on
the global bourses after positive US manufacturing data.
The 30-share index rose by 171.05 points to 17,729.78
points. The BSE barometer had gained 94 points to close at a
20-month high of 17,558.73 points yesterday.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty rose
by 53.30 points, or 1 per cent, to 5,285.50 points.
Brokers said firming trend on the Asian markets following
overnight rally in the US markets mainly triggered buying by
Besides, pick up in buying by retail investors and
covering-up of short positions by speculators also supported
the upside in stock prices, they added.
Among major gainers, Reliance Industries was up by 1.16
per cent to Rs 1,087.80, Reliance Infra by 0.65 per cent to
Rs 1,179, Infosys by 0.27 per cent to Rs 2,621.30, Wipro by
0.53 per cent to Rs 697.30, SBI by 0.19 per cent to Rs 2,296,
Sterlite by 2.35 per cent to Rs 895.50, Tata Steel by 1.63 per
cent to Rs 644.40 and Hindalco by 1.62 per cent to Rs 165.80.
Japan`s Nikkei and Hong Kong`s Hang Seng were up by
almost 1 per cent in the morning trade. The US Dow Jones
Industrial Average ended 1.50 per cent higher yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday