Sensex surges 171 pts in opening trade
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark
Sensex on Tuesday jumped by over 170 points, or 0.92 per cent, in
opening trade on buying by foreign funds, driven by rally on
the global bourses after positive US manufacturing data.
The 30-share index rose by 171.05 points to 17,729.78
points. The BSE barometer had gained 94 points to close at a
20-month high of 17,558.73 points yesterday.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty rose
by 53.30 points, or 1 per cent, to 5,285.50 points.
Brokers said firming trend on the Asian markets following
overnight rally in the US markets mainly triggered buying by
Besides, pick up in buying by retail investors and
covering-up of short positions by speculators also supported
the upside in stock prices, they added.
Among major gainers, Reliance Industries was up by 1.16
per cent to Rs 1,087.80, Reliance Infra by 0.65 per cent to
Rs 1,179, Infosys by 0.27 per cent to Rs 2,621.30, Wipro by
0.53 per cent to Rs 697.30, SBI by 0.19 per cent to Rs 2,296,
Sterlite by 2.35 per cent to Rs 895.50, Tata Steel by 1.63 per
cent to Rs 644.40 and Hindalco by 1.62 per cent to Rs 165.80.
Japan`s Nikkei and Hong Kong`s Hang Seng were up by
almost 1 per cent in the morning trade. The US Dow Jones
Industrial Average ended 1.50 per cent higher yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill