Sensex tanks 453 points as RBI hikes rates, projects lower growth
Mumbai: The BSE Sensex plunged 463 points to 18,534 Tuesday as investors dumped interest-sensitive stock after RBI hiked key policy rates by 50 basis points to tame inflation, and projected low growth for this fiscal.
In its longest losing stint since November 2008, the 30-share Bombay Stock Exchange index, Sensex, which had lost 604 points in last six trading sessions, tanked another 463.33 points to close the day at 18,534.69.
The plunge was triggered by banking and other interest sensitive stock.
Similarly, the broad-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty dipped 136.05 points to 5,565.25 -- below psychological mark of 5,600.
After a weak start, the market tumbled as the Reserve Bank of India hiked short-term lending (repo) rate by 50 basis points to 7.25 per cent, while lowering the economic growth projection to 8 per cent for 2011-12.
The Sensex has declined 8.2 percent this year on fears that high inflation and interest rates to tame it will make borrowing costly, crimping corporate earnings.
The banking sector index plunged by 3.11 percent to 12,406.67, as State Bank of India lost 4.03 percent at Rs 2,583.10.
The auto sector index was the worst performer and dropped by 3.74 percent to 9,108.98 as on fears that high interest rates will hit
Tata Motors dropped 5.30 percent at Rs 1,163.45 and Mahindra and Mahindra fell 4.47 per cent to 707.85.
Another interest-linked realty sector index fell 2.91 percent to 2,140.90 as DLF, the biggest developer, slid 2.56 percent to Rs 220.80 and Jaiprakash Associates, a builder of dams, roads and bridges fell 8.05 percent to Rs 85.05.
The two most-heaviest on the Sensex, with 23 percent weightage - Reliance Industries and Infosys Technologies -- closed with losses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25