Sensex tanks 467 pts; closes at 16,408
Mumbai: The stock market benchmark Sensex on Wednesday tumbled over 467 points, the most in three-months, as investors panicked after Germany banned short-selling in bonds, fanning concerns that global economic recovery may get derailed.
Germany`s move to curb market volatility hit investor sentiment, even as Euro fell to a four-year low against the dollar on fears that the debt crisis in the Euro zone could hamper growth.
The 30-share Sensex, which remained bearish throughout the session, plunged 467.27 points to 16,408.49, the steepest fall since February 25. The benchmark touched an intra-day low of 16,373.32 points.
Similarly, broad-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty dipped below 5,000 points level to end at 4,919.65, showing a hefty fall of 146.55. The Nifty touched the day`s low of 4,908.15 points.
The market which had been passing through a rough patch following weakening Asian trend, fell further after a weak start in European stock markets this afternoon.
Foreign funds and investors turned aggressive sellers after Germany banned speculators from short selling government bonds and financial institutions, fanning concern that the global economic recovery may be derailed.
Investors confidence was further dented after the German restrictions triggered a drop in the Euro and commodities world-wide.
The Euro has fallen over seven per cent against the dollar this month and over 14 per cent in a year.
London`s benchmark FTSE 100 index fell 1.49 percent to 5,228.34 points, Frankfurt`s DAX 30 one percent to 6,091.85 points and Paris` CAC 40 2.37 per cent to 3,531.66.
In the 30-BSE index components, 27 closed with losses while three ended higher. All the sectoral indices remained in negative zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah