Sensex tanks 467 pts; closes at 16,408
Mumbai: The stock market benchmark Sensex on Wednesday tumbled over 467 points, the most in three-months, as investors panicked after Germany banned short-selling in bonds, fanning concerns that global economic recovery may get derailed.
Germany`s move to curb market volatility hit investor sentiment, even as Euro fell to a four-year low against the dollar on fears that the debt crisis in the Euro zone could hamper growth.
The 30-share Sensex, which remained bearish throughout the session, plunged 467.27 points to 16,408.49, the steepest fall since February 25. The benchmark touched an intra-day low of 16,373.32 points.
Similarly, broad-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty dipped below 5,000 points level to end at 4,919.65, showing a hefty fall of 146.55. The Nifty touched the day`s low of 4,908.15 points.
The market which had been passing through a rough patch following weakening Asian trend, fell further after a weak start in European stock markets this afternoon.
Foreign funds and investors turned aggressive sellers after Germany banned speculators from short selling government bonds and financial institutions, fanning concern that the global economic recovery may be derailed.
Investors confidence was further dented after the German restrictions triggered a drop in the Euro and commodities world-wide.
The Euro has fallen over seven per cent against the dollar this month and over 14 per cent in a year.
London`s benchmark FTSE 100 index fell 1.49 percent to 5,228.34 points, Frankfurt`s DAX 30 one percent to 6,091.85 points and Paris` CAC 40 2.37 per cent to 3,531.66.
In the 30-BSE index components, 27 closed with losses while three ended higher. All the sectoral indices remained in negative zone.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know