Sensex tanks 491pts on panic selling; Nifty below 4900
Mumbai: Extending its declines to the sixth straight session, the benchmark Sensex on Wednesday plummeted 491 points, recording its sharpest fall since last August, as foreign funds pressed panic button ahead of the expiry of the January contracts tomorrow amid feeble global cues.
The 30-share Bombay Stock Exchange barometer, after a 188
points gap-down opening, extended the losses to close the day
with a 490.64 points fall to 16,289.82, as brokers and funds
sold their pending positions in the realty, auto, banks and
This is the sharpest fall for the key index in 21 weeks--
the Sensex tanked 626.71 points last August 17 following
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty 50
broke two psychological levels today -- 5,000 and 4,900-- and
plunged 154.80 points to 4,853.10. It commenced the day well
below 5,000 points level opening with a loss of 63 points.
Marketmen said trading sentiment remained bearish in line
with subdued global markets on reports that China may impose
further measures to squeeze money supply and the S&P
downgraded the outlook for Japanese economy to `negative.`
Yesterday, the global rating agency S&P downgraded the
outlook for the Japanese economy to `negative` and warned that
it would revise the ratings of Japanese government debt if the
world`s second largest economy does not contain its ballooning
The Japan`s benchmark index Nikkei-225 closed lower 0.71
percent as a stronger yen weighed on exporters. The US stock
markets had closed marginally lower last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash