Sensex tanks 491pts on panic selling; Nifty below 4900
Mumbai: Extending its declines to the sixth straight session, the benchmark Sensex on Wednesday plummeted 491 points, recording its sharpest fall since last August, as foreign funds pressed panic button ahead of the expiry of the January contracts tomorrow amid feeble global cues.
The 30-share Bombay Stock Exchange barometer, after a 188
points gap-down opening, extended the losses to close the day
with a 490.64 points fall to 16,289.82, as brokers and funds
sold their pending positions in the realty, auto, banks and
This is the sharpest fall for the key index in 21 weeks--
the Sensex tanked 626.71 points last August 17 following
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty 50
broke two psychological levels today -- 5,000 and 4,900-- and
plunged 154.80 points to 4,853.10. It commenced the day well
below 5,000 points level opening with a loss of 63 points.
Marketmen said trading sentiment remained bearish in line
with subdued global markets on reports that China may impose
further measures to squeeze money supply and the S&P
downgraded the outlook for Japanese economy to `negative.`
Yesterday, the global rating agency S&P downgraded the
outlook for the Japanese economy to `negative` and warned that
it would revise the ratings of Japanese government debt if the
world`s second largest economy does not contain its ballooning
The Japan`s benchmark index Nikkei-225 closed lower 0.71
percent as a stronger yen weighed on exporters. The US stock
markets had closed marginally lower last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM