Sensex tanks 491pts on panic selling; Nifty below 4900
Mumbai: Extending its declines to the sixth straight session, the benchmark Sensex on Wednesday plummeted 491 points, recording its sharpest fall since last August, as foreign funds pressed panic button ahead of the expiry of the January contracts tomorrow amid feeble global cues.
The 30-share Bombay Stock Exchange barometer, after a 188
points gap-down opening, extended the losses to close the day
with a 490.64 points fall to 16,289.82, as brokers and funds
sold their pending positions in the realty, auto, banks and
This is the sharpest fall for the key index in 21 weeks--
the Sensex tanked 626.71 points last August 17 following
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty 50
broke two psychological levels today -- 5,000 and 4,900-- and
plunged 154.80 points to 4,853.10. It commenced the day well
below 5,000 points level opening with a loss of 63 points.
Marketmen said trading sentiment remained bearish in line
with subdued global markets on reports that China may impose
further measures to squeeze money supply and the S&P
downgraded the outlook for Japanese economy to `negative.`
Yesterday, the global rating agency S&P downgraded the
outlook for the Japanese economy to `negative` and warned that
it would revise the ratings of Japanese government debt if the
world`s second largest economy does not contain its ballooning
The Japan`s benchmark index Nikkei-225 closed lower 0.71
percent as a stronger yen weighed on exporters. The US stock
markets had closed marginally lower last night.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know