Sensex tracks global cues; down over 400 pts
Mumbai: The BSE Sensex fell more than 2 percent on Friday afternoon, as Europe`s sovereign debt, indications of weak US jobs data and a crash in commodity and energy prices raised fresh concerns over global economic recovery.
The domestic markets have also taken the brunt of selling by foreign funds, which had earlier invested in emerging markets after borrowing in cheaper dollars.
By 15.09 pm, the 50-share BSE Index was down by 405.27 points, to 15,819.68 points - its lowest in three months, with only one component gaining.
Across-the-board selling was witnessed. Among the index stocks, heavyweight Reliance Industries led the losers and was down 2.4 percent at 994.60 rupees.
Bank stocks such as private lender ICICI Bank and State Bank of India (SBI) were also among the top losers. ICICI Bank was down 3.8 percent at 797.75 rupees, while larger rival SBI was down 3.1 percent at 1,888 rupees.
Among tech stocks, software bellwether Infosys Technologies was down 2.76 percent at 2,356.40 rupees, while larger rival Tata Consultancy fell 2.9 percent to 720.60 rupees.
Drug maker Ranbaxy Laboratories was down 5.23 percent at 404 rupees after a newspaper reported that the US drug regulator asked it to immediately assess whether its plants making drugs for the US market met standards.
"What we are seeing is dollar-carry-trade unwinding by foreign investors," said Neeraj Dewan, director, Quantum Securities.
"They borrowed when the dollar was cheap and now that the dollar is recovering, they are unwinding," he added.
The US dollar has surged after investor anxiety about sovereign debt in Greece, Portugal and Spain sparked a sell-off in the euro and growth-linked currencies such as the Australian dollar.
"It’s a fall-out of that," said Naresh Kumar Garg, Chief Investment Officer at Sahara Mutual Fund.
He said rising inflation in India was also a worrying factor, especially food prices and how the government would tackle it.
Dewan said that the current trend of buying on dips and selling on slight rises in the domestic market would continue to determine market trend for the next week or two.
"There are some stocks which are still overvalued and we will continue to see selling there," he said.
In the broader market, losers led gainers 1,235 to 74 on a moderate volume of 370 million shares.
The 50-share NSE Index was trading down 2.61 percent at 4,718.90 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly