Sensex tumbles by 223 pts on Dubai debt worries; at 16,632
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark
Sensex on Friday rebounded from the day`s low and closed down 223
points on nervous selling by funds as concerns about Dubai`s
debt problems rattled markets around the world.
The Sensex, after dipping nearly 600 points during the day, settled lower by 222.92 points at 16,632.01 points as funds remained aggressive sellers in realty, banks and IT segments.
In similar fashion, the wide-based National Stock Exchange`s Nifty touched the day`s low of 4,806.70, ended with a loss of 63.80 points at 4,941.75.
Stocks, currency and bonds also fell as investors shied away from riskier emerging market assets over losses stemming from Dubai World’s attempt to reschedule its USD 59 billion debt.
The rupee and bonds retreated, with the currency joining stocks in posting its biggest drop in more than three months, brokers said, and added the US dollar rebounded to edge over the rupee over Rs 47 was a magic change.
In the 30-share Sensex, 25 closed with heavy losses while
five were higher on investment buying. These were Bharti
Airtel, Grasim, Hero Honda, Reliance Infra and Tata Steel.
The Sensex heavyweight Reliance Industries dropped by Rs
15.70 to Rs 1,048.90 and second-heaviest Infosys Technologies
by Rs 58.55 to Rs 2,328.20. The two carry nearly 23 percent
weightage on the Sensex.
The Dubai government owned Dubai World with USD 59
billion of liabilities has sought a "standstill" agreement
from its creditors. The Dubai government’s attempt to
reschedule debt from creditors pulled the panic button across
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read