Sensex up 113 points in opening trade
Mumbai: Continuing with its previous day`s gains, the Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex on Thursday moved up by over 113 points in opening trade amid strong global cues.
The 30-share Sensex, which had gained 87.29 points in the previous trading session, rose by another 113.13 points, or 0.64 percent, to 17,622.93 points.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty also gained 31.10 points to trade at 5,265.05.
Brokers said the market opened strong in line with other Asian stocks that started the day on a positive note taking cues from the US market which closed in the black on Wednesday.
Besides, pick up in buying by retail investors and covering-up of short positions by speculators also supported the rise in stock prices, they added.
The US Dow Jones Industrial Average yesterday ended 0.50 per cent higher, while Japan`s Nikkei and Hong Kong`s Hang Seng were up by almost 1 percent in the morning trade on Thursday.
Some of the major gainers in morning trade were Reliance Industries up by 2 percent to Rs 1,110.10, Mahindra and Mahindra by 1.29 percent to Rs 1,169.65, Sterlilte Industries by 1.43 percent to Rs 875, ICICI Bank by 0.68 percent to Rs 845.65 and State Bank of India by 0.56 percent at Rs 2,190.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy