Sensex up 153 point, closes at 16,849
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex today gained over 150 points with institutional investors buying fundamentally strong blue-chip stocks in IT and auto sectors.
The Sensex, which had lost 154 points in the previous session, bounced back to close higher by 152.80 points at 16,848.83.
The 50-share National Stock Exchange index Nifty also rose by 46.30 points to 4,998.95. In volatile trading, the Nifty touched the day`s high of 5,017.90 and a low of 4,942.65.
Sensex heaviest and petrochemical giant RIL spurted by Rs 16.50 to close at Rs 2,116.70. IT stocks Infosys, TCS and Wipro also notched up decent gains in the range 1-2 per cent.
Besides IT stocks, auto shares also rose with Hero Honda, Maruti Suzuki and Tata Motors recording attracting buying. The sector index gained by 1.50 per cent to 6,777.49.
Secotral wise, the metal index was the best performer at 1.66 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday