Sensex up 153 point, closes at 16,849
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex today gained over 150 points with institutional investors buying fundamentally strong blue-chip stocks in IT and auto sectors.
The Sensex, which had lost 154 points in the previous session, bounced back to close higher by 152.80 points at 16,848.83.
The 50-share National Stock Exchange index Nifty also rose by 46.30 points to 4,998.95. In volatile trading, the Nifty touched the day`s high of 5,017.90 and a low of 4,942.65.
Sensex heaviest and petrochemical giant RIL spurted by Rs 16.50 to close at Rs 2,116.70. IT stocks Infosys, TCS and Wipro also notched up decent gains in the range 1-2 per cent.
Besides IT stocks, auto shares also rose with Hero Honda, Maruti Suzuki and Tata Motors recording attracting buying. The sector index gained by 1.50 per cent to 6,777.49.
Secotral wise, the metal index was the best performer at 1.66 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information