Sensex up 236 pts; closes at 17,021.85
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange bellwether
Sensex today sank, surfaced and shot up to close the day
higher by 236 points, as investors picked up stocks at
attractive levels amid firm opening in European bourses.
The 30-share Sensex, which lost 265 points in the last
two trading sessions, bounced back to close with a gain of
236.20 points at 17,021.85. The key index touched the day`s
low of 16,635.75 and a high of 17,041.79 points.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty rose
63.45 points to 5,052.45, after moving between 5,063.30 and
Marketmen said the recovery in the market was purely on
brokers clearing their pending long positions created in last
two bearish sessions. Higher opening in European markets also
boosted market sentiment, they said.
The upsurge was led by the most heaviest on the Sensex,
Reliance Industries, which gained 2.07 per cent to close at Rs
2,125.15 and the second most heaviest Infosys, which rose by
0.75 per cent to end at Rs 2,427.50. Both the stocks carry
nearly 23 per cent weightage on the index.
A smart rise in stocks of banking, refinery, metal and
healthcare sectors mainly supported the market.
In the 30-BSE index-linked stocks, 26 closed with gains
while four ended in the negative zone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what