Sensex up 236 pts; closes at 17,021.85
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange bellwether
Sensex today sank, surfaced and shot up to close the day
higher by 236 points, as investors picked up stocks at
attractive levels amid firm opening in European bourses.
The 30-share Sensex, which lost 265 points in the last
two trading sessions, bounced back to close with a gain of
236.20 points at 17,021.85. The key index touched the day`s
low of 16,635.75 and a high of 17,041.79 points.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty rose
63.45 points to 5,052.45, after moving between 5,063.30 and
Marketmen said the recovery in the market was purely on
brokers clearing their pending long positions created in last
two bearish sessions. Higher opening in European markets also
boosted market sentiment, they said.
The upsurge was led by the most heaviest on the Sensex,
Reliance Industries, which gained 2.07 per cent to close at Rs
2,125.15 and the second most heaviest Infosys, which rose by
0.75 per cent to end at Rs 2,427.50. Both the stocks carry
nearly 23 per cent weightage on the index.
A smart rise in stocks of banking, refinery, metal and
healthcare sectors mainly supported the market.
In the 30-BSE index-linked stocks, 26 closed with gains
while four ended in the negative zone.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed