Seppi beats Tipsarevic in bizarre final
London: Unseeded Italian Andreas Seppi won the first ATP title of his career in extraordinary circumstances on Saturday when Serbian opponent Janko Tipsarevic retired hurt in a rain-interrupted Eastbourne International final.
Seppi won 7-6, 3-6, 5-3 after two hours 35 minutes when the third seed retired after injuring his leg following a tumble on the greasy surface after calling for the match to be halted an hour earlier because of bad light.
Officials halted play for around 20 minutes with Seppi leading 4-0 in the final set before the match resumed in an almost deserted stadium.
Tipsarevic fought back to 4-3 before play was halted for another 10 minutes when he was strapped up after being wrong-footed by a return at the baseline, splaying his legs as he fell to the ground.
With Wimbledon starting on Monday and the tournament already hit by rain which washed out play on Friday, officials were keen to get the match finished.
Tipsarevic, though, was unhappy with the conditions. He asked for play to be halted at the start of the third set but was overruled by the tournament supervisor.
Complaining soon after because he said "the scoreboard was shining", some spectators, wrapped up in hats and scarves in the chilly conditions, shouted back at him "get on with it".
As conditions worsened Tipsarevic complained more loudly and with Seppi leading 5-3, 15-0 in the final set, he decided enough was enough.
Both men were playing their second match of the day after Tipsarevic beat Japan`s Kei Nishikori 6-2 6-4 in his semi-final earlier and Seppi eliminated Russian Igor Kunitsyn 6-4 2-6 6-4.
World number 30 Tipsarevic had previously reached three ATP finals and lost them all, with the most recent defeat coming in the Delray Beach tournament in the United States in February when he lost to Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina.
Seppi was taking part in his first ATP final for four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah