Serena comeback ended by Zvonareva
Eastbourne: Serena Williams hit the wall in her career comeback at Eastbourne Wednesday after only one victory, with top seed Vera Zvonareva sending the American back to the practise courts.
The Russian`s 3-6, 7-6 (7/5), 7-5 three-hour triumph was revenge for a Wimbledon final a year ago won by Williams, now ranked 26th after nearly a year out of the game.
Williams was appearing in Eastbourne for the first time after two operations on a foot she cut after last year`s Wimbledon followed by further surgery in February to remove blood clots from her lungs.
Zvonareva lost to the American in the last match Williams played prior to this week, the All-England club final nearly 50 weeks ago.
"It was definitely tough," said the winner, also a US Open finalist last autumn.
"Serena is such a champion. She`s making an unbelievable comeback. We had a battle out there."
Williams served for a straight-set victory leading 5-4 in the second set only to double-fault it away.
That gave Zvonareva new life, with the Russian showing mental strength in a see-saw contest as Williams struggled in saving 15 or 21 break points and producing seven double-faults.
After squaring the sets, Zvonareva, who held a 5-2 lead at one point, was unable to convert on three match points in the tenth game of the third, dropping serve for 5-all.
But the relieved Russian re-broke a game later and finally served out the victory.
"I was trying my best, everything was tough. I`m happy with how I played and I`m very happy to get this win," said Zvonareva.
Venus Williams, 33rd and coming back after missing five months with an abdominal injury, managed an easy win, advancing to the quarter-finals 6-3, 6-2 over Ana Ivanovic.
"I feel I`m playing very tough, playing well on big points," said Venus, who last competed at the tournament 13 years ago.
"I just need to continue.
"These matches have been huge and crucial for me to just get back literally into the swing of things. I`m focusing on all the positives, and I think there`s a lot of them.
"Taking the amount of time off (five months) I have taken, it`s so important to focus on those positives."
Third seed Victoria Azarenka eliminated the last of the British players as she put out Elena Baltacha 7-1, 7-6 (7/0), while Czech fifth seed Petra Kvitova defeated holder Ekaterina Makarova 7-6 (10/8), 7-6 (7/4).
Australian Samantha Stosur, the number seven seed, beat young Serb Bojana Jovanovski 6-3, 6-2.
In the men`s draw, Bulgarian Gregor Dimitrov upset South African sixth seed Kevin Anderson 6-3, 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered