Serena enters US Open via injury-protected ranking
New York: Serena Williams, who has dropped to 172nd in the world after being sidelined for almost a year with injury and illness, has opted to use an injury-protected ranking to gain entry into the US Open, the United States Tennis Association (USTA) said.
Champion Kim Clijsters will also be back to defend her title in New York after being sidelined during Wimbledon with a foot injury.
Williams, who won the last of her 13 grand slam titles at Wimbledon in 2010, can use her injury-protected number one ranking to enter eight tournaments, including one grand slam, since she was sidelined over six months with health issues, according to the USTA.
The American lost in the fourth round at Wimbledon last month after being out of action for nearly a year -- during which she suffered a foot injury and life-threatening blood clots.
Clijsters, who will be seeking a third-successive US Open crown, has had her season disrupted by injury since beating China`s Li Na to win the Australian Open in January.
She injured her ankle while dancing at her cousin`s wedding, resulting in a two-month lay-off. She returned to play in the French Open but was knocked out in the second round by Dutch world number 114 Arantxa Rus.
The US Open runs from August 29-September 11 in New York and will include 97 of the top 100 women players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam